CoParenting Talk (a discussion forum)
Sign in to follow this  
DadOfTwo

Ex started talking about paying for college

My ex has raised paying for college a few times recently. She tried to casually drop it into conversations a couple times, then recently when discussing finances said something about how she'd have to start saving soon to pay for the girls' college (we were well enough off when together that we hadn't felt the need to save).

We've been broken up about 2 years, fully separated about 1.5 years, but we don't have any formal legal separation agreement. We've just agreed to live in separate houses, have separate finances, and have agreed on 50-50 custody. Girls are 7 and 10.

I'm not sure what to think of this all. It's pretty clear she wants me to volunteer to (help) pay for college.

Without it being mentioned in a legal agreement, there's a fair chance you can't legally be obligated to anything. In a lot of places, you have no obligations after the kids are 18 UNLESS you sign a contract agreeing to continue to support them.

That's a different question than whether you want to plan with your ex to help pay for your kids' college after they're 18. You might think it's the right thing to do, and want to make joint plans to do so, without necessarily legally obligating yourself to do so. 

It seems pretty natural for parents to want to talk about college as the date approaches, divorced or not. It seems a reasonable thing to try to plan.

Had you given any thought or planning before the divorce to college?

Thanks guys. I guess my worry is the threat of litigation, especially because we don't have an agreement in place.