CoParenting Talk (a discussion forum)
Sign in to follow this  
jimdahl

Co-parenting in the news: Handling house different rules, aggression spilling over,

My stepdaughter's mother lets her eat candy for dinner - Slate

When she talks to me about going to see her mother, she will say things like “My mom lets me eat candy for dinner” or “Sometimes I stay up all night at my mommy’s house—she lets me.”

A general rule with all two-house co-parenting situations is: Unless it’s abuse or neglect you’re worried about, what the other household does is none of your business.

Interparental aggression often co-occurs with aggression toward kids - Penn State News

Parents in the midst of a psychologically or physically aggressive argument tend to also be aggressive with their children, according to researchers at Penn State. 

"Previously, researchers thought that kids reacted negatively to interparental violence because it threatened their security within the family unit. For example, it was assumed that children were afraid that their parents would divorce. This study shows that kids may also be afraid of what might happen directly to them."

Throwing everything into co-parenting after divorce - CBC

Last year when the girls brought home lice, Olaechea Reyes went over to Payant's home, staying up late to do laundry and pick nits out of his ex-wife's hair.

They also make an effort to all come together to celebrate family events, like birthdays or dance performances or the first days of school

When the teacher sends a note home with the kids, photos are taken immediately and sent to the other parent.

On 4/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, jimdahl said:

A general rule with all two-house co-parenting situations is: Unless it’s abuse or neglect you’re worried about, what the other household does is none of your business.

It seems useful to coordinate on things like bedtimes, screen time, rules, etc.