CoParenting Talk (a discussion forum)
Sign in to follow this  
evb12

Changing jobs, my children's health insurance going way up

I am a divorced mom with two kids, ages 12 & 15. I have always provided the health insurance for my kids (in fact my ex has never had health insurance except when my job covered him). 

I just got a new job, and the cost of health insurance (medical/dental/vision) for the kids is going from $250 to $650 a month (in both cases, the most affordable option). Does my ex have any right to refuse to pay half? I realize it's a big jump, but I was likely going to be laid off unless I changed jobs, so I didn't have much choice. 

Edited by evb12

All of these legal questions really come down to your custody agreement.  If you fought over the agreement in court, there were ways things were most likely to go (depending on the state and court), but you're quite likely to be bound by whatever you agreed to.  In terms of financial contributions, usually a big change in expenses for one person triggers a new look at child support.  But, again, if he's not going to be reasonable, you might have to talk to a lawyer or go back to court.